Thursday, March 7, 2013

Homemade Tape Delay


My latest project is a homemade tape delay effect, made out of a tape recorder, a walkman and a radio shack mixer.  This is probably the third time I've set out to make one of these, and this is the first time it's actually worked.  The concept isn't that far out, but it's just hard doing anything with cassette tape, it's skinny, the tension on the tape has to be just right, tape players tend to eat it, and on and on and on.  The sound I get is still a little warbly, but not too bad.  Here is a crappy diagram of what I did, followed by a link to what it sounds like.  Notice at the end of the recording, I just let it repeat itself, and it kind of just degrades into oblivian.  Some of the connections were 1/4" to 1/8", I made myself some cables with 1/4" on one end and 1/8" on the other.  These have come in very handy for weird little projects like this.


1 comment: