Friday, March 29, 2013

Folks Y'oughtta Know: Jacy Catlin


I met Jacy Catlin almost twenty years ago in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  I was fresh out of high school, playing in  a punk rock comedy troupe called the Beatles, and I knew this man was destined for great things.  Jacy and I were never really friends, more like casual aquaintences, I admired him from afar.  In truth, I felt he was a comedic mastermind, to the point that I was truly intimidated by him, even though the man is one of the nicest and most humble people I have ever met.  Before I had even met Jacy, I had come across a couple issues of "Boba Fett", a kind of cartoon zine he had put together in a punk rock format.  Later on, I got my first look at the legendary zine, "I Eat And Drink Diarrhea", a love it or hate it collection of childish comic strips and essays based on poop and pee humor.  I have three issues that I read to this day, nothing makes me laugh out loud, over and over again like IEADD.  Jacy put together a few bands, most notably the Pale Riders, a perfect blend of Ennio Morricone and punk rock.  Jacy also had a few short videos online that were absolute comic genius.   I felt like he was one of my great comic secrets until recently, with the advent of twitter, Jacy has tens of thousands of followers, and is getting more attention everyday.  Most recently, his Vines have been getting a lot of attention, this shit is funny to the max, and if you don't get it, I don't get you.  Jacy is a great American, I think he should be a household name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment